Utah Drone Pilot Training and Part 107 Test Info
Find drone pilot training Utah plus all the information that you need to get your Remote Pilot Certificate and fly drones commercially. The future is bright for the Unmanned Aircraft System industry as the demand for commercial drone pilots increases.
On June 21, 2016, the FAA released its long awaited Part 107 to Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14CFR). These rules allow small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) which are under 55 lbs to be flown commercially in the National Airspace System. On August 29, 2016 the new Part 107 rules became effective and you are now required to get a Remote Pilot Certificate with a small UAS Rating in order to legally fly drones for commercial or business purposes. To get this certificate, you must PASS the FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot aeronautical knowledge test.
Click here to find an FAA Part 107 test center location.
Please note: If you already have a Part 61 pilot certificate, you may only be required to take the online training course Part 107 small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) ALC-451. All others can use this online course as a practice test.
To apply for your Remote Pilot Certificate aka drone license after passing the Part 107 knowledge test, click through to How Do I Become A Drone Pilot for your next steps.
Part 107 Knowledge Test Study Guide
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has published a free Study Guide to help prepare you to take the Remote Pilot Certificate with an sUAS Rating Airman Knowledge Test. To download your free copy, click here.
Drone Training in Utah:
Currently there are no UAV training schools located in Utah or the Salt Lake City area that we are aware of. There are drone training courses offered in the neighboring states of Arizona and Nevada that are worth checking out.
We did find out about a MeetUp group in Salt Lake City of people who fly and work on drones.
A group of students from the University of Utah produced an in depth report entitled, “The Utah Drone Report 2016” on the various aspects of drones in society including privacy and safety concerns, military uses, natural science uses and their overall economic impact on Utah.
The future of the drone industry for Utah’s economy is looking to take-off. According to The Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI) who predicted that the industry will generate as much as $859 million by 2025 for Utah and 1,085 new jobs. The top industries in Utah for drone pilots are aerial photography, agriculture, videography and drone production.
In the aerial photography field, real estate photography stands out as one of the largest emerging markets as well as film making. In fact, the entire state is marketed for production filming through a state agency called The Utah Film Commission.
Research using drone technology is being conducted at Utah State University and Brigham Young University.
Looking for drone pilot training in a different state? Check out the map on our drone pilot schools page.
Part 107 Highlights:
- You must be at least 16 years old.
- You must hold a Remote Pilot Certificate with a Small UAS Rating or be supervised directly by someone who does have this certificate.
- The drone must not weigh more than 55 lbs including any attached cargo.
- The UAS is not allowed to fly higher than 400 feet above the ground.
- The maximum speed allowed for the drone is 100 mph.
- The UAS needs to always be within the pilot’s line of sight without binoculars.Operation of the UAS is limited to daylight hours and during twilight hours only if the drone has anti-collision lights.
- You are not allowed to fly the drone over people who are not directly involved in the UAS operation.
- If the FAA requests your drone for inspection or testing, it must be made available with all records that are required under the new rule.
- Any UAS operation that causes a serious injury, loss of consciousness or property damage(not to the UAS) of at least $500 must be reported within 10 days to the FAA.
You can read the Summary of Part 107.
Read the complete Small UAS Rule here.
Drone Pilot Training Center is dedicated to providing the information that you need to become a successful drone pilot. Check back for updates at https://www.dronepilottrainingcenter.com for drone pilot license info.